Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bah Merah

Whenever I'm in my car, driving, alone, I think. A lot. About everything. I have a lot of thoughts too. About everything. I keep on reminding myself to blog it. No matter how petty it is. Or how insignificant it is. The thing is that, whenever I am in front of my computer, all my thoughts fly away, and left me sitting motionless in my chair.
Thank God my favorite cousin (mind you, all my cousins are my favs =P), Yie, tagged me. At least there is something for me to update. This is what I am supposed to do (this sounds rather familiar actually).

* Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
* Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird. * Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs. * Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

  • First rule... checked
  • Second rule...weird and random huh?
  1. I dance to my own rhythm a.k.a I seriously don't know how to dance
  2. For this year alone, I've read and reread Harry Potter series for more than 10 times.
  3. I like traditional songs, not classic like "Tudung Periuk" but traditional like "Cindai"
  4. I like my foods and drinks at room temperature.
  5. I never win a lucky draw ever in my whole life.
  6. I think that my luck for lucky draw has been transferred to being lucky when finding a parking space in the mall/office. Always found it, front row.
  7. I can't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. My last attempt on sewing was trying to sew beads on my blue baju kurung sleeves. I ended up messing it so bad that the sleeves are all cutted out/up and the baju kurung ended up in my thrash can. It is that bad.
  • Third rule... I think I've tagged my friends before on this and I don't know many bloggers, so I'm gonna pass
  • Fourth rule... irrelevant
On another note, I went to visit my grandmother the other day. She suddenly fall sick and can barely talk. When I was there, her eldest sister was there too, we called her Tok Long.

Tok Long is a very cute old lady. She's petite like my grandmother but she looks a lot stronger. She walks around on her own (without a walking stick) and full of energy might I add. Her voice is loud and clear and she remembers everything. Amazed at the old lady, my brother and I asked her, her age. She told us that she is 86 years old. My grandmother though interrupted her by saying that she is only 81 years old since she was only 2 years older than my grandmother. They bickered for a second until both agree that they don't know for sure their birthdate. They also agree that they are 2 years apart and Tok Long was 2 years old when "bah besar" hits Terengganu. Puzzled with the term, my brother and I asked them about it. What they can tell us is just that there is a huge flood in Terengganu back then that was called 'Bah Besar' & 'Bah Merah'. Neither can tell us the year when it happens.

I did a little googling on the subject when I got back to my house. Yes, there is a 'Bah Besar' back then, 1926 to be exact. The flood is also called by another name, "Bah Merah". Mainly because the water is all muddy and also because it took many lives and destroyed many houses and plants. The flood did not only affected Terengganu, but many other states in Malaysia. Since then, Malaysia was hit with big flood every 40 years. The latest was the one that hit Johor on 2007. There is no documented evidence on any flood previously to 1926. It is however being speculated that there is a big flood sometimes in 1888s.

After a little calculation and some deductive reasoning, my brother and I both agreed that Tok Long was born around 1923, which makes her 85 to 86 years old. She does actually remembers everything!

5 comments:

victoire said...

harry potter mmg best kakna..
yie kalu stiap kali balik summer khatam 7 series..
abis bi khatam bm.. hahaha.

nway thx for doin this tag!

baru nk kmbang idung jadi cousin fave.. kecut smula. ehehe.

Mardiana Kamaruddin said...

Hahaha boleh je kembang gak..

yes yes, kita ni memang harry potter fc.. hehe.. tapi kakna x pernah baca yang dalam bm nye lagi.. biasa gak nampak dekat kinokuniya, mph sme..

ingat tak dolu2 kakna sokmo pinjam komik yie? dragon apa ek? bukan dragon ball.. ni zaman tok kadok dulu.. pasal sorang budak pendek ni yang boleh bertukar jadi naga..

Tg.A said...

huh... dragon quest. kakna short term memory. muahahaha.

Anonymous said...

oh tanjung, saya mmg la tak terbuat kalau tag2 ni..hehe..

btw, rinnnnduuuu la kat tanjung.

Mardiana Kamaruddin said...

@adik: hahahha tu la.. dragon quest.. dok ingat plak.. tp best laa dulu, kalu gi rumah yie, mesti cari komik tu.. hehe.. short term memory??? cess!!

@fadh: hahahah saya tahu saya mempunyai sahabat2 yang sungguhla malasnya menjawab tag ni.. rinduuuu awak gak... so, what's new??