Saturday, October 06, 2007

The road less traveled

I drove my mother to our little town today because she wanted to find the crystal beads for her flowers. It was really difficult to find a parking spot since it is one week before Hari Raya celebration and it seemed like everyone in Terengganu were out shopping. So we decided to park somewhere farther than the usual; that is because my mother promised that she know the short cut. It was behind the Courts Mammoth, she kept telling me. I've seen a small path towards the flower store, she added. O-kay then, so she never actually take the road. Nevermind though, since I could see a path too, except that it looked rather jungle-y where the path leads. I could see now that my mother starting to waver as she took a step forward. Oh yeah, I can see the flower store, I said loudly and trying to sound as convincing as I could as I walked past her. She followed slowly behind me.

The first step into the 'jungle', I was surprised. The trees/bushes actually covers what seemed like a bunch of rumah setinggans in the middle of the town. Our first sight was a guy in his tights, taking a bath from a well. Yup, a man-made-well. We can't turn back now, it's too late. As my mother hasted through the houses, which attached to each other, I stole a glance around. Sure, our presence was highly noticeable. Everybody was looking at us as we walked, but I can't help but to look back and smiled. I noticed, though as confined as they may seem, they have quite a neighborhood. At least I can see a few Chinese and Malay ladies hanging out on their veranda.

We were out in 10 minutes. Seemed quick but I can't get over my surprise. I really wish I had a camera with me. It was rather an intriguing experience. Though my mother swore that she will never take the route again, and make me promised not to do so as well, I wasn't so sure.. I think, I'll take Robert Frost's The Road Less Traveled literally.

No comments: