Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Starfish


One summer ago, a boy had changed my life.


It was a hot summer and I was getting suffocated with work that I decided to take some time off. As soon as my weekend started, I packed my things, filled up my tank and just hit the wheel. I have no idea where I was going, all I know is that I need some fresh air. I finally ended up on a rather deserted beach.


After checking in, I decided to take a walk down the beach. I could not really get near to the beach since there were thousands of starfishes washed out along the beach. Since I just wanted to clear my head, I did not mind the beach nor the water. I continued walking until I saw a boy, not far from me, throwing a starfish, one by one back to the water. It striked me the act was rather foolish since there were too many starfish, but I did not say a word. I just watch him from afar and turned back to the inn where I was staying.


On the next day, before checking out, I took my last walk on that beach. And then there the boy was, still throwing starfishes into the water. This time, I just stood there and watched him do it repeatedly. When I could not contain my curiosity any longer, I walked up close to him. If he was shocked to see me, he did not show it.


"Can I help you, sir? He asked me politely. His hands were still clutching to a starfish and his tone, the way he carried it, sound as if he was distracted from doing an important job. He might as well be.

"Well, I was actually rather curious about what you are doing actually. I was here yesterday too and I noticed that you have been throwing starfishes into the sea. So, if you don't mind telling me, what is it exactly you are doing? It seems that you are rather obsessed with it"


"Well, I'm saving them sir. They belong to the water" He answered innocently. I almost smiled, he must have thought I am a foolish person for asking this. I then tried to rephrase my sentence again, trying not to sound too idiotic this time.


"I know that. It is just that, don't you think it is rather foolish? I mean, look at this beach, there must be thousands of them. It would not even make a difference. You throw one into the water but there will be at least another 10 coming in. It would not even matter" I added the last sentence slowly, it was barely a whisper though I believed that he must have heard me because he suddenly looked at me.


The boy then lowered his head and stared long into one of the starfish in his hand. I soon feel sorry that I might have discourage him. As I was still struggling with my words to comfort him, he suddenly looked at me and raised his hand with the starfish in it. Then he gently throw it into the water.


"It matters to that one sir" He said in a as a-matter-of-factly voice, and just continue picking another starfish and throwing them into the water and then another.


I was stunned by his answer. There he was, a boy, realized that it does not matter to the result at large but only thinking on the one he is holding. Then I realize too, no matter how small a deed is, it still will change at least someone's life.


Then I picked up a starfish.


- The story was told by one of the trainer for Etiqa Brand Vision Training. It was a rather short story but is modified by me, to add a little life & spice to it. =)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Itu laa... i pun wonder gak... apasal plak budak nih panggil u "Sir".... rupanya u retold yer... For a moment (at least before i habih baca entry u) i gelak sensorang coz funny nih budak tu dok refer you as "Sir" :)

Mardiana Kamaruddin said...

@sari: haahahhahaha.. u telah membuatkan I tergelak2 macam orang gila ni kat ofis.. and you thought u gelakkan I.. =P