Friday, December 12, 2008

Books and Elly?

I am so excited! I bought three new books yesterday. 

1. Religion under siege? Lina Joy, the Islamic State and Freedom of Faith by a pool of authors.
2. Khalid Memburu Syahid by Abdul Latip Talib
3. The girl with the dragon tattoo by Stieg Larson

I usually try to restrain myself from buying more than 2 books everytime I went to a bookstore. But I love those titles. I was having troubles in choosing Khalid Memburu Syahid or Hikayat Amir Hamzah (part 1) and decided to take the former one since I have been in love with Khalid Al-Walid since I was a kid. 

Since all the books were wrapped in plastic cover, I can only read the synopsis at the back. So, when I got home, I unwrapped all three books and started going through them. I have to say that I am a little disappointed.

I started with "Khalid Memburu Syahid", naturally. I thought that it would be some sort of a biography of Khalid Al-Walid but it turned out that it is a novel with many dialogues. It is a little boring and I ended up reading his biography on the net.

I went for "Religion Under Siege? Lina Joy, The Islamic State and Freedom of Faith" written by Nathaniel Tan & John Lee. Or at least that is what I thought I saw on the cover. Turned out that the book was edited by them. The authors are many. The book is a collection of blog entries that discussed that issue. Major disappointment. I can simply read them on the net. Besides, I am quite sure that I have actually read most of it. 

Last but definitely not the least, I opened "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo". I have only read the first 5 pages and I am already impressed. This is going to be an exciting read. I just know it. It was originally written by Stieg Larsson in Swedish but was translated to English by Reg Keeland. 

John Burdett, one of the reviewer, reviewed the book as a "Tolstoyan re-invention of the 'closed room' murder mystery, Agatha Christie for adults.. It's also a profound investigation into tribal violence in the world of high finance, and a revelation of the dark side of a country normally seen as the very height of priopriety.." Now, now, doesn't that sound interesting?

Like I said, I have only read the first 5 pages but I am very looking forward to finish it. Unfortunately, I know it's going to take sometimes since I'm pretty occupied these days. It's going to stay in my handbag for quite sometimes. 

On another note, Elly is getting married this January, yay!! Sheila wrote a touching letter to Elly in her latest entry. I wish I can do the same but I don't really know what to say except that I am so happy for her. She is a wonderful person, a great friend and is going to be a lovely wife. Any man is considered lucky to have her. Elly, Congratulations and I wish you a lifetime of happiness. You deserve it.

3 comments:

Red said...

tanj, aku actually bukan tulis untuk elly. tuh utk org lain... oopss... nanti aku akan tulis yg lain utk elly plak!

Mardiana Kamaruddin said...

hahah ye ke sheils.. aku seriously ingat ko tulis for elly.. tu la.. terfikir gak.. sangatla ada special bond ko and elly.. but since ko kata kenal 10 years, aku trus assume that it's her..

Iron Butterfly said...

wah. tanj, u made me wanna buy that book! hehe.