Thursday, December 25, 2008

A confession of an acrophobic

He smiled at me urgingly. I can feel my palms starting to sweat. The sun is glaring down on me in this mid-afternoon. For the hundredth time, I glance at the back and see the line behind me is getting longer. Everyone seems eager and impatient. I lean to him and whisper.

"Can I still drop out?
He leans back to me, his aftershave smells of fresh rain.

"It's your choice. But I really hope you won't"

There's a smile in his voice. I look up to him and there's definitely a smile lurking at the corner of his lips. That same boyish smile that make sign up in the first place. I wish he works at a laundry store rather than at this dangerous-I-would-die sports place. Is bungee jumping can even be considered a sport? Did I mention that I am acrophobic?

"I'll be with you" He nodded a few times, still smiling reassuringly.

"Let's jump" I said firmly.. err.. well, sort of.
"Are you sure? He suddenly seems hesitant.
"Ask me again and I'll drop out" I shot him a warning look.
"Allrighty, Rose. You jump, I jump" He smiled teasingly and before I could give a clever retort, I felt a gentle nudge on my back and.................. I'm flyyyingggg...

I felt the adrenaline rush in my head as my body shooting down. Suddenly I can see how blue the sky is. I can smell the scent of the earth. I can hear the birds are singing. Suddenly my conscience is clear and a new strength comes over me.

"How do you like it!? I heard him yell and I suddenly remember that our feet is dangling together, upside down. We are bouncing up and down.

My conscience is clear.

"I love you!! We bounce up.

"Excuse me? He yelled back. Obviously my confession was lost in the air. We bounce down.

"I SAID I LOVE YOU!!! 

And the bouncing stop. He look stunned. Oh ow..

"My wife is the lady at the ticket counter"

Oh crap..

No comments: