Monday, April 20, 2009

Update on Care for Refugees



It's been a while since I received the email from halfdate regarding this video. One week to be exact. The night I opened it, I was in my hotel room in Kota Bharu. I was thankful that I was all alone because within minutes watching it, tears started rolling down. Before I know it, I started sobbing. That night I went to bed early, unable to write anything. I prayed that I would find the words better the next day. Sadly, I was too caught up in work until today. 

Alhamdulillah, today I am able to share this video and I hope it would touch you as much as it did to me. Please remember that they are our sisters and brothers. I hope one day when we were asked how we have helped our brothers and sisters; the eyes, the tears and the fingers would speak. 

On April 17th, I received another email from halfdate. Among its contents, this one really caught my eyes:

A: Just curious, why you picked to donate $7.29?

B: Because that's all I could afford without making my bank account empty.

Someone actually donated that much because that is all she can afford. Yet she did it anyway because she knows that it won't go unrewarded. In fact, she'll get more out of it.

Right now, I am not asking you to donate your money because there are actually a lot of donors out there. What they are requesting right now are letters from us to the refugee families. I know writing letters, buying stamps, posting them can be a hassle. So, if there is something you want to say to these families, you can email me or simply leave a comment here. I will mail the words to them. For more information on this project, you can refer to this page: http://halfdate.com/2009/04/02/care-for-refugees/#address

I'm sure whoever you are, you do feel alone sometimes. Even when you have the people you love with you. Imagine these people who just lost almost everyone they knew. Moving to a place where everything is so alien, including the language. Imagine their nights, the vivid images that they see during their wake and their sleep. Imagine their day, missing the people that they used to know. Imagine your loneliness and compared it with theirs. The letters would help ease the feeling. Let's lend a helping hand, let's write a letter, ok?

p/s if you know a kindergarden teacher or if you know anyone at all who are looking for a project, you can propose this one. 

No comments: